Driving License

What license is sufficient?

Country to country

License requirements vary from depending on the country you are renting a motorhome in. In Australia for example, a non-English drivers licence must be accompanied by an international drivers license or a certified translation. Our quotes provide further information and please be sure to read through all the information.

Additional restrictions

Please make sure to read through the information provided within our quotes. Some rental operators have age limit restrictions for customers or require a customer to have held their license for a certain number of years. 

Weight Limits

Since 1999, the European category “B” driving licence has allowed for a weight limit of 3.5 tonnes of permissible total weight. According to local laws in Australia, New Zealand, the USA or Canada, this does not apply for rented motorhomes. Our rental operators have provided us the following statement for customer peace of mind: "Our insurance companies in Australia, New Zealand, USA and Canada have re-confirmed where the driver has a valid and current drivers licence to permit issued overseas, which could normally be valid for the driver to drive a car in their country of residence, it is agreed that this will be recognised as an appropriate licence for them to drive vehicles booked with bestCAMPER".

Additional insurance (z.B. Excess insurance, amendment to liability)

After consulting with the insurance company, we can confirm that the HanseMerker insurance policies offered by us are also not affected in Australia, New Zealand, the USA or Canada : “If the leaseholder of the vehicle has the driving licence to hire the vehicle in the respective country, insurance cover exists within the general conditions of insurance.”


If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us!